- Because you want to cruise through the very
heart of possibly the prettiest French countryside
—houses covered in flowers seemingly year
round, medieval-feeling villages
with small central squares surrounded by cafés where people are
enjoying the slower pace of life.
- Because Burgundy's range of culinary experiences varies from pretty inns
on the banks of a river
to prestigious restaurants
(last time we counted there were 32 restaurants with Michelin
'stars', including four with 3 stars
!) All of the barges cruising in Burgundy pride themselves on
the quality of their food and wine. With your own personal chef on board, local specialities and
international cuisine are of the highest standard.
- Because you want to taste some fine wines
and enjoy select private wine tasting
, as offered
by many of the barges’ excursions.
- Because you like great weather and sunshine
, but perhaps not quite such high temperatures as in
the south of France.
- Because you want to visit amazingly intricate chateaux
and tread in the footsteps of past kings
and queens of this fine country.
To give you a feel for the different areas, here are some cruise highlights of the differing
Nivernais Canal cruise Highlights may include:
- Auxerre - the centre of barging in Burgundy, with its shops, narrow streets and Cathedral of Saint-
- The Basilica of Vézelay
- Wine villages of St Bris, Coulanges and Irancy
- Wine tasting at a famous vineyard in Chablis